DIY Christmas jar crafts – 3 inexpensive and easy projects
Don’t throw away those glass jars! They can be used to make candle holders to decorate your home or unique gifts for friends and family. Turning a plain glass jar into a work of art takes only a few craft materials and some creative DIY Christmas jar crafts ideas!
DIY Christmas jar crafts – Make candle holders
Large glass jars can be transformed into unusual lanterns by using ice effect spray and a few stencils made from painter’s tape.
You will need: glass lanterns, pickles or jam jars, star templates, scissors, a pencil, rubber gloves, frost effect spray, painter’s tape, ribbons, small twigs and ornaments for decoration.
Print out the star template. Overlap a few strips of painter’s tape on a flat surface, transfer the star template on it and remove the stencil in one piece.
Cut out the stars and stick the painter’s tape stencils on the glass lanterns. Spray the glass jars with the frost effect spray in a well-ventilated place.
Let dry and peel out the stencil. The lantern can now be decorated with ribbons, cones and twigs.
You need: glass jars, Fimo modelling glay, star-shaped cookie cutters
Roll out the modelling clay and cut off a rectangle with a lenght corresponding to the perimeter of your jar and the width according to its height.
Use the cookie cutter to cut out stars in the modelling clay. Wrap the rectangle around the jar and join both ends on the back. Bake in an oven at 230 degrees Fahrenheit (110 degrees Celsius) for 30 minutes.
– You can also use salty dough instead of modelling clay, in this case, leave it to dry and do not bake.
– Instead of cookie cutters you can use drinking straws to make small holes on the rectangle
Snowman candle holder
You need: round glass jar, thick white glass paint, sealer spray, glue gun, small buttons and a ribbon.
1. Start painting the outside of the jar with white paint.
2. Sprinkle epsom salt before the paint has dried.
3. Place the jar upside down on an empty beer bottle and let dry.
4. If you want to dry faster, you can use a hair dryer.
5. Shake the bowl to remove excess salt and spray with sealer. Make second layer of salt, if you wish.
6. Glue two buttons and a ribbon around the jars neck.